Thursday, January 22, 2009

1.21.09: Gluten-Free and Lovin' It

Today I was grateful for my learning community job's willingness to hunt down assuredly gluten-free food for me during our monthly four-hour meeting on the east side. They usually serve deep-dish pizza from Pizzeria Uno... basically torture for someone who used to love crusty, cheesy amazingness. Last night, though, they had set aside for me a delicious grilled salmon and mashed potatoes that were clearly labeled gluten-free (none of this "oh, sure, gluten - that's a kind of sugar, right?" craziness). I also get served first on airplanes and the food is usually pretty darn good. I would actually recommend non-gluten-free people check that little box for long flights. Basically, I'm glad I live in 2009 with this disease rather than ten or twenty years ago and I'm grateful for friends and colleagues who care enough to educate themselves about it so I can participate in food-related festivities.

Other items I would recommend to the gluten-able
:

--pretzels

--tortilla wraps (teff flour... mmmm)

--brownies (lots of great mixes and all better than the original)


--pasta

--cracker
s



1 comment:

  1. Love, love you and love having a sneak peak into your days. Also, love your gluten-free self. I am inspired to feed myself and our kids a more well rounded set of grains because of you. Thank you--for being you!

    ReplyDelete