Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1.20.09: Hail to the Chief!


I feel like I have to pinch myself... we have a new President. A President who I am tremendously proud of and a First Family who I think represents our best selves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnygQ02aW4

My favorite part of the inaugural ceremony was this song performed by Yo-Yo Ma and friends. I have always loved that Shaker melody and was even more moved by the lyrics on such a historic and hopeful and new day:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twil be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

Come round right indeed. To hear someone in such a powerful position talk about love and humility and curiosity and creativity is not just refreshing - it's an inspiration in the truest sense of the word. I dare you to listen to that melody and not get choked up.


No comments:

Post a Comment