Monday, January 12, 2009

1.11.09: Smoke-Free Establishment

Madison has been smoke-free since just before I moved here, a regulation that I take for granted all-too often. I was reminded how amazing it is to be in a smoke-free community, however, when I met up with friends last night for a good-bye party (another one is off to the mythical Seattle!) at a cigar bar. I have to admit, I kind of like the smell of cigars; it makes me think of sweet old men playing chess in the park or offering sage advice from the corner of an Irish pub. I don't know why it makes me think of that - I know no such men. The initial sweet smoke, however, turns into nastiness given an hour or so. After I got home, for example, that nasty business had settled into the fibers of my favorite scarf, new coat, and dry clean-only shirt. I tied them to my balcony to air them out last night, but it just made them cold. Ugh. So, a huge shout out to Madison's smoking ban. Thank God.



I think the only person who hates the smell of smoke worse than me is my sister. I still laugh thinking about her calls to every bowling alley in the city asking them, "Excuse me, but are you a smoke-free establishment?" You can imagine the responses she got.





No comments:

Post a Comment