Wednesday, February 11, 2009

2.6.2009: Happy Burf-Day

My birthday lingered on with more cards and phone calls - one of my favorites was from my nephew-cousin Nicholas who sang me a very articulate "Happy Burf-Day" song... and forgot who he was singing to. He also then asked me what I was doing for my birthday. "Going out with friends," I said. He said, "Dinner with friends - ooooooooooo" in total sincere amazement. Love it. I also got a couple of poems forwarded to me by an old family friend in honor of my birthday. They're both by ee cummings who is one of my favorite poets of all time... what a great gift.

since feeling is first

who pays any attention

to the syntax of things

will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool

while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,

and kisses are a far better fate

than wisdom

lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry

—the best gesture of my brain is less than your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then

laugh, leaning back in my arms

for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

__________________________________________________

let it go-the

smashed word broken

open vow or

the oath cracked length

wise-let it go it

was sworn to

go

let them go-the

truthful liars and

the false fair friends

and the boths and

neithers-you must let them go they

were born

to go

let all go-the

big small middling

tall bigger really

the biggest and all

things-let all go

dear

so comes love

No comments:

Post a Comment