Thursday, February 5, 2009

2.4.2009: Mentors

I could write about being grateful for a new episode of Lost every Wednesday, so I'll try to keep my fandom in check (but, seriously, what an amazing episode... Jin is alive?!! He knows Rousseau?!! Ben was pulling the strings?!! When will I learn!). I am very grateful for lunch today with one of my mentors - a super-smart, down-to-earth, funny, kind, generous woman who is a faculty member with an office across from mine. It's so refreshing to have someone who is several steps ahead of you look back and give you honest, forthright, direct advice about things that make me totally panicky and anxious. We had a lovely lunch in the sun and caught up on professional stuff and life (which is always more interesting). I'm very grateful to have someone like that to spend time with and bounce ideas off of and vent to when I'm feeling at my wit's end. I don't think I'd make it through grad school without that. In fact, when I think back through the different stages of my life thus far, I have been incredibly lucky to always have had amazing mentors who were patient and supportive with just enough dash of whoop ass when I needed it.

1 comment:

  1. Lost! Can you even believe it?! I am always at the absolute edge of my seat. Those writers must be insane to come up with this many twists and unexpected turns.

    Oh, and mentors are the best...just to address the actual reason for your post. :-)

    ReplyDelete