Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2.17.2009: Run-Ins

Last night I stayed on campus working like the devil on my dissertation reading list (which is long and daunting). I'm most productive in a coffee shop, so I picked one that I rarely go to, got a capuccino and settled in. A couple of hours later, just as I was craving a break, two good friends I haven't seen in awhile walked in the door. It was so wonderful to run into them and have a great chat and a bit of gossip. Several hours later, I took one of the last buses home. To avoid the looney bins that come out of the woodwork after dark, I was waiting right by the bus sign when a bus pulled up. It wasn't my line, but the door opened and someone said, "Hey, Katy!" It was my former driver and friend James who drove the bus home whenever I worked late at the restaurant. We always had such good chats and, once he switched lines, I was sad to think I would never see him again. He stopped the bus, gave me a hug, and chatted for a bit before he had to continue down his route. It reminded me how great it is to be in a city where I can run into people I've met in all sorts of random ways... as anxious as I am to leave and be done with school, I really feel a part of this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment