Friday, August 7, 2009

A Glimpse of Madison

I really have fallen in love with my city this summer... not just because it's beautiful, though that is certainly one of the reasons. Here are a few of the classic Madison vistas I caught on my cell phone camera in the last couple of weeks.

Lake Mendota, as seen from James Madison Park. I was driving home from a friend's and had nowhere else to go, so I pulled over and laid on the grass and took a little catnap. It was a gorgeous day - breezy and warm and just all-around lovely.


The view from my hostess post... the sunset that night was particularly spectacular. It's so pretty that people often gasp when they first come upon the view. If you have to stand somewhere for 7 hours, it might as well be in a place like this.


I love this picture because it captures two of Madison's characteristics at the same time. In the sideview mirror: many of Madison's major streets are under construction which slows drive time down considerably... as do the semi-frequent protests (driver's side window), like this one demanding health care reform. Hundreds of people (all ages, colors, and sizes) marched from campus to the capitol playing music and waving signs. I was happy to stop for them and wished I had known so I could march with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment